- Use the working-out paper provided for calculations — when completing maths questions, it is always a good idea to do the calculation twice as this will reduce silly errors.
- If you find a comprehension or maths section more difficult than usual, don’t despair as the chances are everyone else is also finding it more difficult, so keep focused and try and pick up as many marks as you can. The children who give up in the difficult sections are throwing away valuable marks.
- If you do not know an answer, do not leave it blank — have an ‘intelligent guess’ — especially in the English sections where one word answers are often needed.
- In the maths questions, make sure you give your answer in the correct unit of measure. eg if they want the answer in litres, make sure you don't give your answer in millilitres.
- When tackling comprehensions, read the full passage and all the questions as this can improve your understanding of the passage or poem.
- Have good time management. You should aim to finish the paper with around three of four minutes remaining to allow time for checking answers. Do not spend too long on one question.
- Write your answers clearly and correct mistakes as neatly as possible.
- Do not be easily distracted, especially near the end of the exam. Other pupils may have finished and are looking around, but you should keep focused on the paper until the very end.
Tips for children sitting transfer tests
Most Read in this section
- The format of GL tests
- Special circumstances could help in decisions
- Tips for parents on transfer tests
- Tips for children sitting transfer tests
- Transfer 2010: Nuala McKeever and Mark Langhammer put to the test
- 1,000 pupils apply to take grammar entrance exams
Most Viewed Videos
Video: Reaction in Northern Ireland to Scotland's independence referendum
As the historic Scottish...
Video: The Belfast Telegraph asks MLAs at Stormont their views on the Scottish...
What impact will the...
Video: Body heat saves man in 'pitch black' River Thames rescue
An RNLI lifeboat crew...
Video: Bat attacks guitarist on camping trip
Fresh air, plenty of exercise and a welcome...
Video: MIT researchers develop running robot
Researchers at the Massachusetts Institute...
Nightlife: Ollies Bar - Sept 2014
Northern Ireland nightlife: The Limelight - Sept 2014
Northern Ireland nightlife: The National Bar - Sept 2014
The Botanic Inn, Belfast Sept 2014
The Cloth Ear August 2014
Vital 2014 pictures: David Guetta
Vital 2014: The Killers and Bastille
Belfast rocks to Biffy Clyro
Belsonic: Kodaline, Tom Odell fans
Belsonic 2014 pictures: Queens of the Stone Age fans
Belsonic 2014 first night
Northern Ireland Nightlife: The Limelight, Belfast - August 2014
Belsonic 2014 pictures: Chic and Nile Rodgers fans
Northern Ireland Nightlife: The Dirty Onion, Belfast - August 2014
Belsonic 2014 pictures: Kodaline, Tom Odell fans
Northern Ireland Nightlife: Secrets Nightclub, Magherafelt - August 2014
Northern Ireland Nightlife: Roxy Nightclub, The Parlour, The Eg - July 2014
Ollie's Club, Belfast - August 2014
Northern Ireland Nightlife: The Bot - August 2014
Northern Ireland Nightlife: The Alley Cat Bar July 2014
WW1: Images of the horror, heroism, suffering and anguish
The Troubles gallery - John Hume detained in 1971
Reader's favourite Ulster beauty spots
Cape Canaveral satellite launch
A communications satellite has been launched from...
US man held over North Korea swim
South Korean border guards have arrested an...
Ex-Ukip MEP faces fraud charges
A former Ukip MEP will appear before magistrates...
Halfpenny in demand
Wales star Leigh Halfpenny's career with European champions Toulon could...
Liverpool 2-1 Ludogorets: Steven Gerrard rescues Reds on their Champions League...
It was almost just like the...
Three-week ban for Coombs
Wales international forward Andrew Coombs has received a three-week ban after...
Star DiCaprio given UN climate role
Leonardo DiCaprio has been appointed a United...
Aykroyd reveals Ghostbusters plans
Ghostbusters star Dan Aykroyd has unveiled his...
Thompson battles fear in stage role
Emma Thompson has told how she hopes to...