- Your child will have other chances in the future to develop skills and knowledge, so it's not the end of the world if they don't do as well as you hoped.
- Encourage your child in a calm and reassuring way, and avoid criticising their efforts or style of studying, for example revising with music on.
- If there are any topics your child finds difficult to grasp, send a note in with the child to the class teacher asking if they can go over this topic again.
- Understand moodiness and encourage your child to take breaks from revising, get plenty of sleep, eat properly and take time to have fun.
- Bribes aren’t the best way to help.
Tips for parents on transfer tests
Most Read in this section
- Rathmore Grammar the latest Catholic school told to abandon testing
- Special circumstances could help in decisions
- Transfer 2010 practice papers
- Should Northern Ireland end selection at age of 11 ... and make it 14 instead?
- Northern Ireland's P7 pupils set to find out name of their new school
- Transfer 2010: Nuala McKeever and Mark Langhammer put to the test
- Robinson told to butt out in transfer test row
Most Viewed Videos
Video: Apartment with strong Titanic links could be yours for £190k
It is a house steeped in...
Video: Toddlers training for interviews
Toddlers in Hong Kong are receiving professional...
Video: MUST WATCH - Giant crocodile caught in Australia
The giant reptile is the 128th to be captured in...
Video: Cute - Baby hippo makes debut splash
A cute baby hippo called Devi has been caught on...
Video: Bizarre video - Naked swimmer gets stuck on top of a raised bridge
Clinging on for his life,...
Northern Ireland Nightlife: Cuckoo nightclub, Belfast - May 2015
Thompson's Garage - May 2015
Alibi - May 2015
The Dirty Onion - May 2015
Filthy McNasty's - May 2015
The Bot - April 2015
Sigma play the Limelight
The Fly - April 2015
Mandela Hall, Belfast - April 2015
The Limelight, Belfast - March 2015
The Eg, Alibi, Parlour, Roxy, Belfast - March 2015
Sixty6, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast
Villa Night Club celebrates its 1st birthday
Nightlife: Fibbers Magee on St Patrick's Day 2015
Nightlife: Filthy McNasty's and The Parlour on St Patrick's Day 2015
Nightlife: The Bot and The Egg on St Patrick's Day
Filthy McNasty's and The Parlour on St Patrick's Day
The Bot and The Egg on St Patrick's Day
Cuckoo on St Patrick's Day
St Patrick's Day Eve at The Dirty Onion
George Best would have been 69 today. Here's our tribute
Prince Charles' royal visit to Ireland: In pictures
Video: Lisburn home awash with Victorian style
Top gear? Not quite as scruffs Clarkson & Co hit town
Man strips at airport after flight to Jamaica is overbooked
In Pictures: CIPD Northern Ireland Awards 2015
Tasty Spanish Frittata from the Little Pink Kitchen
The Troubles gallery - IRA checkpoint, early 1970s
Same sex marriage: Pressure grows for a referendum in Northern Ireland new
Pressure on Northern...
Hair today, going, going gone later new
Strands of hair belonging to two master composers are...
'Rohingya graves' found on border
Malaysian authorities have discovered what they...
Banahan: We have to take chances
Matt Banahan insists there is no risk attached to Bath's...
Given doubtful for FA Cup final
Shay Given is a doubt for Aston Villa's FA Cup final...
Pellegrini hails departing Lampard
Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini felt...
Celebs back missing children appeal
Celebrities including Stephen Fry and Simon Cowell...
Hervey's eggs plan amid family push
Lady Victoria Hervey admitted she has thought...
McCartney collects Yesterday award
It apparently came to Sir Paul McCartney in a dream in...