- Your child will have other chances in the future to develop skills and knowledge, so it's not the end of the world if they don't do as well as you hoped.
- Encourage your child in a calm and reassuring way, and avoid criticising their efforts or style of studying, for example revising with music on.
- If there are any topics your child finds difficult to grasp, send a note in with the child to the class teacher asking if they can go over this topic again.
- Understand moodiness and encourage your child to take breaks from revising, get plenty of sleep, eat properly and take time to have fun.
- Bribes aren’t the best way to help.
Tips for parents on transfer tests
Most Read in this section
- Special circumstances could help in decisions
- Ulster grammar school rapped over standards
- Catholic grammars ‘will maintain selection tests’
- Northern Ireland grammar schools 11-plus intake revealed
Most Viewed Videos
Video: Belfast Christmas market - A tour uncovers the markets festive and food...
Video: Voting takes place in Rochester and Strood by-election as Ukip seek...
Voters in Rochester and...
Video: Belfast Harbour crowns double winners for the Green Teacher of the...
For the first time in the...
Video: Manchester United stars compete in an art contest to draw a plane
Manchester United had...
Video: Craig Charles leaves I'm A Celebrity after death of his brother
After the sudden death...
The Limelight, November 13
Alibi, The Parlour, Groovy Train, The Eg
The National Bar
The Coach relaunches
The Botanic Inn
The Cloth Ear - Autumn 2014
Northern Ireland Nightlife: Cuckoo - October 2014
The Limelight - Oct 2014
DJ Sneak and Felix da Housecat at Belfast's T13
Toga Party at The Fly, Belfast - Freshers Week 2014
Freshers Pub Crawl - Bar With No Name
Freshers Night at Ollies, Belfast - September 2014
Freshers' Night in The Fly
The National Bar - Sept 2014
Belsonic 2014 pictures: Imagine Dragons, Soul Sister Soul Revolution and The Whereabouts fans
Belsonic 2014 pictures: Queens of the Stone Age fans
Belsonic 2014 pictures: Chic and Nile Rodgers fans
WW1: Images of the horror, heroism, suffering and anguish
The Troubles gallery - IRA checkpoint, early 1970s
Reader pictures: Favourite Ulster beauty spots
Old school pictures: When Big Ian Paisley was little Ian
JCB driver digs world's fastest win
A JCB has been crowned the fastest digger in the...
Police advise motorists of 'treacherous' driving conditions in the Cushendun area of...
Police have advised...
Ukraine deaths 'rise despite truce'
The fighting in eastern Ukraine has killed nearly...
Duo hit double top new
Trainer Michael Hourigan and jockey Barry Geraghty teamed up for a Thurles...
Frankel filly breaks Irish record new
A filly by the brilliant Frankel out of the 2007 English...
Farm comes Home to roost at Thurles new
Home Farm won on his first start for trainer Henry de...
Tears as grieving Craig quits camp new
Craig Charles left his fellow I'm A Celebrity ... Get Me...
Stars flock to Winter Wonderland new
Tom Daley, Tara Palmer-Tom kinson and Matt Smith...
Lee Evans calls time on career
Lee Evans says his comedy career is "finished" and he wants to retire to...