The facts about education in the Republic
- There are 732 post primary schools in the Republic of Ireland
- 388 of them are secondary schools that are privately owned and managed
- Of these 388, 50 are fee-paying
- 253 of them are vocational schools and community colleges
- 77 are community schools
- 14 are comprehensive schools
- All schools receive funding from the Department of Education and Science although capitation grants vary depending on the type of school in question.
- Since the 1998 Education Act, schools may choose students based on religious and educational philosophy as long as this is clearly stated in their admissions policy.
- They cannot determine admissions on the basis of academic performance
- A recent OECD report states that Ireland spends the third least amount of GDP on education even though literacy rates are among the highest