Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 23 July 2014

Man pleads guilty to waste offences

A digger driver who admitted illegally dumping around 1,000 tons of waste on a site close to a Co Antrim river has been given a conditional discharge for two years at Lisburn Magistrates Court.

Brian McArt (58), from Rusheyhill Road, Lisburn, was fined £22 costs after he pleaded guilty to three waste offences, the Department of the Environment said in a statement. He was also required to pay £1,060 to the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) for loss of revenue as he had failed to obtain a waste management authorisation for the site.

On December 7, 2007, officers of the NIEA visited lands at Rusheyhill Road, Lisburn, in response to complaints of unauthorised waste disposal, a spokesman said.

Officers observed an area of land which had “been infilled with controlled waste”.

On January 31, 2008, officers revisited the site where “it was evident further construction and demolition waste had been deposited”.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk