Girl (10) hanged herself in bedroom game
Published 27/01/2010 | 01:49
A 10-year-old girl accidentally hanged herself with a dressing gown cord while dancing in her bedroom, a coroner has said.
Megan Williams was discovered in her home in Harpurhey, Manchester, last May by her older brother.
Her mother Lisa Williams tried to resuscitate her but she was later pronounced dead in hospital.
Megan was dancing in her bedroom to music on the radio after school when the incident happened, the inquest heard.
She lived with her five siblings, aged between one and 15, and shared a room with two of her sisters. The girls would often “mess about” with the cord, her mother told the court.
“They would mess about with it and she used to put it around her neck, pretending she was a dog,” she said.
Ms Williams said she told her daughters not to do it and had even thrown the cord in the bin, but they took it back out.
Megan died because her brain was starved of oxygen, Doctor Charles Wilson told Manchester Coroner's Court.
“If it is of any comfort she lost consciousness very, very quickly. I am certain she would not have suffered at all,” he said.