Girl (12) relives gun terror ordeal
A girl who narrowly escaped injury after gunmen fired shots at her grandparents’ home today revealed how she was terrified by the ordeal.
Little Louise Ward was in the kitchen of her granny’s flat on Suffolk Road, Belfast, when the attack happened.
The pair were preparing the St Louise’s Primary pupil’s uniform for school the next day when they heard several loud bangs and breaking glass at around 7.15pm yesterday.
Frightened by the commotion Louise and her granny Bridget Mongan hid in the kitchen until they felt it was safe to come out.
Speaking to the Belfast Telegraph, the youngster explained that despite being scared by the attack she still had the courage to call for help.
“Me and my granny were in the kitchen getting my uniform ready for school when we heard the shots come through the window” she said.
“My granny’s neighbour, he heard the shots too and he saw people running away. When he came back in I rang the police and told them to come quick.
“I was very scared about what happened but I feel a lot better now.”
Following the attack Louise and her grandmother were taken to hospital to be treated for shock and while no one was seriously injured during the incident, Mrs Mongan said they could have been.
She explained that when she heard the shots being fired, she thought they had gone through her bedroom window where her husband was sleeping.
“I thought my husband was dead,” the distressed grandmother said this morning.
“Me and the wee girl were getting the uniform ready for school when we heard two or three bangs, we did not know what was going on, we had just come back from Derry where I was visiting my son’s grave.
“The shots had come from a car outside. Me and the wee girl were in a panic. I thought they had come through the bedroom but they were through the lounge. I am still in a panic today.”
Mrs Mongan said this was not the first time her family has come under attack.
Last year another relative, John Mongan, was murdered in front of his pregnant wife by a gang.
This morning two men were arrested by detectives investigating his murder.
The pair, aged 32 and 45, were detained in Co Fermanagh on suspicion of assisting offenders in connection with the murder of Mr Mongan, said a PSNI spokeswoman.
The 30-year-old was hacked and beaten to death in front of his heavily pregnant wife Julia at their home in Fallswater Street, west Belfast, on February 7 last year.
Three people — two men aged 32 and 36 and a 15-year-old boy — were charged several months ago with the murder of Mr Mongan, a member of the traveller community.
Mrs Mongan said she was tired of being harassed and appealed to be left alone.
“I am just sick of all of this,” she said. “I can’t live like this, I just want them to leave us alone so we can do our own thing. I was only in Derry to see my son’s grave.”
A PSNI spokeswoman said three men have been arrested in connection with last night’s incident and are currently helping police with their enquiries.
The spokeswoman said police were following all lines of enquiry.