Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 27 August 2014

It's a tragedy people are dying while waiting for a transplant, says man who needs new lungs

Cystic fibrosis sufferer Daniel Gray

A Northern Ireland man with cystic fibrosis has said that it is "a tragedy" that people are dying while waiting for a transplant.

Daniel Gray was diagnosed with the condition at birth, and has been waiting for almost a year for donated lungs.

It comes as a report reveals how one in three sufferers will die while on the transplant list.

Only around 20% of lungs donated are actually used in transplantation in the UK, the Cystic Fibrosis Trust said.

The charity has called for an overhaul of the system to end the "transplant lottery".

Belfast man Daniel (26) called for an increase in the rate of transplantation, saying it would save lives.

"It's a tragedy that people die on the transplant waiting list if there are ways of overcoming the amount of organs that sadly get discarded," he said. "There is no doubt a change in transplantation rules and increasing the amount of lungs that get used could help save lives.

"Surely investing in the technology and training of staff would also save the NHS heaps of money in the long run too because then they won't have the likes of me visiting their hospitals every week."

The Cystic Fibrosis Trust said sufferers on the transplant list wait for more than a year – 412 days – on average.

Its report states that lungs from fewer than 25% of Donors after Brain Death (DBD) are used for transplants. Within the remaining 75% there are clinically viable lungs which are suitable for use.

It says more must be done to make the most out of lungs which are available.

Currently lungs are offered to the closest transplant centre, when a matching recipient has been identified.

However, the report's authors called for a new 'lung allocation system' that balances the needs of medical urgency and long-term outcomes.

"There is concern across the cystic fibrosis community about equity in lung allocation," the report adds.

"There is a perception that the likelihood of getting a lung transplant, and the time frames for this, vary according to where an individual is listed.

"A donated organ will not currently necessarily reach the most in-need candidate anywhere in the country."

Professor Andrew Fisher from the Institute of Transplantation, Freeman Hospital and Newcastle University said successful lung transplantation can transform the life of someone with very severe lung disease caused by cystic fibrosis.

"By increasing the acceptance of donor lungs that are currently available and directing them to those most in need, we will have the chance to make sure all those with cystic fibrosis who need a lung transplant get the opportunity to benefit from it," he said.

Ed Owen (left), chief executive of the Cystic Fibrosis Trust, said that for some people, a lung transplant is the only option available to prolong life.

"It's a scandal that one in three people are still dying on the lung transplant waiting list," he said.

Mr Owen added: "We are calling on all bodies responsible for transplantation policy to work with us and act on our recommendations to ensure those waiting for a transplant get the organs they so desperately need and to bring new hope to their lives."

BACKGROUND

More than 10,000 people across the UK suffer from cystic fibrosis, a life-shortening condition caused by a faulty gene.

It leads to a sticky mucus clogging the lungs and digestive systems which makes it hard for sufferers to breathe and eat.

Cystic fibrosis affects people differently. More than half of all people with cystic fibrosis can expect to live beyond the age of 41. This number is constantly increasing with improvements in treatment.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz