Belfast Telegraph

Friday 19 September 2014

McGimpsey reveals chief of new regional health body

The current chief executive of the South Eastern Health Trust was yesterday unveiled as the man who will take charge of Northern Ireland’s new regional health body when it comes into power in April.

Health Minister Michael McGimpsey revealed the names of the designate chief executives who will lead four new health and social care organisations, planned as part of sweeping changes to the administration of the NHS under the Review of Public Administration.

John Compton, who has been chief executive of the South Eastern Trust since it was formed in April 2006, will be in charge of the minister’s new Regional Health and Social Care Board (RHSCB).

The Board is set to come into power in April when it replaces the current four health boards.

He was previously chief executive of the Down Lisburn Trust from 2001.

Other structures being set up include the Regional Agency for Public Health and Social Well-being, which Dr Eddie Rooney has been appointed chief executive of.

Dr Rooney has extensive experience in working on inter-departmental policy and chaired the Fit Futures taskforce on childhood obesity which reported in 2007.

He transferred to the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister as Equality Director in 2008.

Mr McGimpsey also announced that registered nurse Maeve Hully has been appointed chief executive of the Patient and Client Council, while David Bingham will head up the Regional Business Services Organisation. Ms Hully has been working for Marie Curie Cancer Care since 1993. Since 2006 she has had a national role in the charity for patient advocacy. Mr Bingham is the Department of Health’s director of HPSS Human Resources.

The minister said all four will take up their new appointment “as soon as possible in the New Year”.

“They each have an integral role to play in what is a very important phase for the future of health and social care,” he said.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz