Belfast Telegraph

Tuesday 30 September 2014

Northern Ireland to lose 180 hospital beds in next four years

Health Minister Edwin Poots
Health Minister Edwin Poots

Hospitals in Northern Ireland will lose 180 beds over the next four years, the Health Minister has revealed.

Edwin Poots said the axing of bed numbers was a practical outworking of the Transforming Your Care (TYC) plan to reform healthcare here.

The TYC strategy — proposing a major shift from care in hospitals to the community — provoked controversy in May.

The Health Minister instructed health trusts to abandon their plans to close care homes. TYC had set out a target of closing 50% of care homes — but some trusts had announced plans to shut all their facilities, provoking widespread public anger.

In an update on the progress of the TYC plan to the Assembly yesterday, Mr Poots said that £139m worth of “saving opportunities” had been identified through the plan to date.

The health service will also receive £18m in ‘bridging’ funding this year to allow changes brought in through TYC to become embedded in health trusts.

But Mr Poots warned that the axing of hospital beds could not happen in a vacuum. “It must take place with full and transparent engagement with patients and service users so we know what is changing, when and why,” he told MLAs.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz