Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 17 April 2014

Swine flu kills two more but cases are declining

Two people in Northern Ireland died of swine flu last week, the Public Health Agency (PHA) has revealed.

The number of new cases is falling. There were 41 new confirmed cases last week, compared to 86 in the second week of this month.

A total of 23 people have died from swine flu, with 20 suffering from underlying health problems.

Dr Maureen McCartney, consultant in health protection at the PHA, said: “It is reassuring that the number of new flu cases per week has once again more than halved. If the current trend continues, swine flu has passed its peak.”

Yesterday, 12 out of 75 adult critical care patients were being treated for a flu-like illness.

“This is a further improvement on the position last week and no routine surgery has been cancelled in the past week due to swine flu,” she said.

“Accident and emergency departments and primary care services are coping.”

Department of Health senior medical officer Dr Liz Reaney said: “I would like to offer my deepest sympathies to the families of those whose deaths have been reported this week, during what is undoubtedly an extremely sad time for them.”