Belfast Telegraph

Home News

John Terry’s ‘mistress’ in eye of £250k media bidding storm

The French model at the centre of claims surrounding England captain John Terry's alleged affair has been offered £250,000 to tell her side of the story, publicist Max Clifford has confirmed.

Underwear model Vanessa Perroncel, the ex-partner of Terry's England and former Chelsea team-mate Wayne Bridge, is at the heart of a media bidding war.

Mr Clifford said he was in discussions with at least six media outlets all bidding for her take on the events.

A final decision on whether she will sell her story is yet to be made, but Mr Clifford said the bidding offers could rise beyond the £250,000 mark.

Ms Perroncel was at Mr Clifford's home yesterday, where she was being updated on the latest media offers.

The publicist told Sky News: “It's a story that everyone's talking about and it's a story that obviously all the papers and the television networks are very, very keen to get to the bottom of and find out what the truth is.”

Mr Clifford refused to be drawn on the veracity of the allegations but insisted some Press claims were incorrect.

He said Ms Perroncel had first to consider the welfare of her four-year-old son before she made a decision.

Asked whether there was any truth behind the alleged affair, he replied: “All I'm prepared to say is that she's known John a long time and obviously I think during that time they've become very close friends but anything more than that, I wouldn't want to say at this particular stage.

“It's really for her to decide what she wants to do.”

England boss Fabio Capello was believed to be weighing up Terry's future as captain yesterday.

It is understood Capello will have the final say on whether Terry can continue to lead the national team and he is expected to give his verdict well in advance of England's next match.

The FA has so far refused to comment but Sports Minister Gerry Sutcliffe said he would ask the governing body to explain its position on Terry, who failed with a High Court injunction to stop newspapers reporting claims about the alleged affair.

Bridge (29), who has separated from Ms Perroncel and now plays for Manchester City, said he did not intend to comment on the reports for the sake of the couple's son.

The allegations came to light after a gagging order was lifted by Mr Justice Tugendhat at the High Court in London on Friday.

Terry (29), who was voted Dad of the Year last year in a Daddies Sauce survey, has two children with his wife, who has now fled the family home and reportedly flown to Dubai with the youngsters.

Terry, who has refused to comment on the allegations that he cheated on wife Toni, had been expected to lead the team to this summer's World Cup in South Africa.

Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti confirmed that Terry would remain captain of the club but refused to discuss whether he should remain skipper of the national team.

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini said some of his players wore shirts bearing the words Team Bridge in support of team-mate Bridge during Sunday's Premier League win over Portsmouth.

Capello will be in sole charge of deciding whether Terry is stripped of the England captaincy, it was confirmed later.

In the FA's first statement on the scandal, a spokesman said: “The FA confirms that England manager Fabio Capello alone will make the decision about John Terry's position.

“Fabio is fully up to speed with developments regarding John Terry.

“He spoke with our chairman Lord Triesman and chief executive Ian Watmore today, who both backed him to make the best decision for England on footballing grounds. Fabio is dealing with the matter in his own way using his extensive experience as a football manager.”

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph