Belfast Telegraph

Sunday 26 October 2014

£17m police budget cut plans challenged

The Northern Ireland Policing Board is to challenge the government over a proposed £17 million cut to the police service budget at a crunch meeting with the region's security minister.

Senior police officers will also attend the hastily arranged talks at Stormont later this month.

The Northern Ireland Office (NIO) has written to the board calling for the cutbacks, which they said were required as a result of the economic downturn.

On top of the latest money saving request, the police service has already seen its budget cut by £71 million last year and faces further cuts of £74 million in the coming two years.

Policing Board chair Barry Gilligan said the call for an additional £17 million cut was unacceptable and would impact on frontline policing.

"This £17 million cut is not acceptable to this board and to the members of this board."

At the board's monthly meeting in Belfast, Acting Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) Chief Constable Judith Gillespie conceded that meeting the NIO request would be "challenging and difficult".

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz