Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 20 September 2014

After Twelfth marches, violence erupts throughout Northern Ireland

Masked youths riotiing in Lurgan last night as trouble continued throughout the day iin the republican Kilwilkee area
Masked youths block the Antrim Road in Lurgan last night as rioting continued throughout the day in the republican Kilwilkee area
Alan Lewis - Photopress Belfast 11-7-2010Locals at the scene of explosion in south Armagh . This shows the threat posed to police by dissident republicans is "extremely high", a senior officer has said. The device exploded between Belleeks and Cullyhanna, blowing a crater in the road and damaging a stone bridge. No-one was hurt, but police are working "with extreme caution" in follow-up searches, amid fears of hidden bombs."This was a blatant and callous attempt to kill and injure my officers," added Superintendent Pauline Shields.

Violence broke out across many parts of Northern Ireland as tensions simmered following Twelfth of July parades.

In Belfast a bus was hijacked by masked men who claimed to have planted a bomb on board.

Two hijackers boarded the bus at Glencolin Walk shortly before 4.30pm and said a device had been left on the upper deck.

They ordered the driver to take the vehicle to Woodbourne PSNI station in the west of the city and made off towards the nationalist Lenadoon estate.

A number of roads near the station had to be sealed off as Army bomb experts examined the vehicle, however the alert was declared an elaborate hoax and all roads were re-opened several hours later.

In north Belfast two vehicles were hijacked on the Oldpark Road. One of the cars was found on Alliance Avenue shortly before 5.30pm and diversions had to be put in place between Berwick Road and Etna Drive while police examined it.

Police were also attacked with paint bombs, missiles and at least five petrol bombs as a feeder parade passed the Ormeau Bridge area of south Belfast. Two men and a woman have been reported to the Public Prosecution Service in connection with disorderly behaviour and assault after trouble flared at Botanic rail halt.

Meanwhile, in Lurgan a crowd of youths attempted to hijack and torch the cross border Enterprise train at a level crossing on Lake Street. All 55 passengers on board the train escaped unhurt after the driver was able to re-start the vehicle.

A spokeswoman for the PSNI confirmed there were no reports of any injuries or damage.

Also in Lurgan, a crowd of up to 50 youths hurled at least seven petrol bombs and a number of stones at police in the Kilwilkie estate, a white van was hijacked at Lake Street and a number of petrol bombs were thrown on the Antrim Road.

Sinn Fein MLA for the town, John O’Dowd, described the violence as “pointless”.

“Again we have a small group of individuals who come into the area to wreck it and use it as a playground,” he added.

Police were also called to deal with a hostile crowd at Killyleagh Road, Armagh, where at least one vehicle was burnt out by a large crowd.

In Londonderry, one petrol bomb was thrown at a house in the Irish Street area of the city.

Yesterday’s trouble followed a night of rioting in north and west Belfast during which 27 police officers were wounded.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz