Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 29 November 2014

Bloody Sunday murder inquiry to begin in new year

A man receiving attention during the shooting incident in Londonderry, which became known as Bloody Sunday
A man receiving attention during the shooting incident in Londonderry, which became known as Bloody Sunday
Bloody Sunday. January 1972
30th January 1972: Bloody Sunday
Michael Kelly who was killed on Bloody Sunday.
Paddy Doherty, who was killed on Bloody Sunday.
William McKinney, killed on Bloody Sunday.
Alana Burke who was eighteen when she was run over by an armoured personnel carrier on Bloody Sunday.
Kevin McElhinney who was killed on Bloody Sunday.
John Young who was killed on Bloody Sunday.
Gerald Donaghey who was killed on Bloody Sunday.
Gerard McKinney who was killed on Bloody Sunday.
Patrick Doherty who was killed on Bloody Sunday.
William McKinney who was killed on Bloody Sunday.
Lord Chief Justice, Lord Widgery in his room at the Old Bailey as he looks through his report on the "Bloody Sunday" shootings
Michael McDaid who was killed on Bloody Sunday.
Hugh Gilmore who was killed on Bloody Sunday.
Jim Wray who was killed on Bloody Sunday.
Hugh Gilmore (third left) seen clutching his stomach as he is shot during Bloody Sunday.
A man receiving attention during Bloody Sunday.
Soldiers taking cover behind their sandbagged armoured cars during Bloody Sunday
St Mary's Church, on the Creggan Estate, during the Requiem Mass for the 13 who died on 'Bloody Sunday' in Londonderry.
Lt Col Derek Wilford, the former commander of the members of the Parachute Regiment involved in the Bloody Sunday shootings
Paul Doherty in front of an image of his dying father Patrick Doherty who was shot on Bloody Sunday.
PACEMAKER BELFAST - FLASHBACK - Bloody sunday in Derry 1972 when members of the parachute regiment opened fire on a banned Civil Rights march through the city.PICTURE CREDIT PACEMAKER PRESS

A murder inquiry into the Bloody Sunday killings in Londonderry is to begin in the new year.

Senior commanders from the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) today briefed relatives of the 14 people who died after British paratroopers opened fire on civil rights demonstrators in the city in 1972.

Earlier this year, police signalled an intent to investigate the incident after they and prosecutors reviewed the findings of the Saville public inquiry into the controversial shootings.

Until today it had been unclear when such a probe would start.

After the 12-year inquiry, Lord Saville found that the killings were unjustified and none of the dead posed a threat when they were shot.

That contradicted the long-standing official version of events, outlined in the contentious 1972 Widgery report, which had exonerated soldiers of any blame.

The Saville Inquiry prompted Prime Minister David Cameron to apologise to the relatives.

Thirteen people died on the day, with a badly injured man dying a number of months later.

PSNI Deputy Chief Constable Judith Gillespie and Assistant Chief Constable Drew Harris outlined details of the murder investigation to the Bloody Sunday families in the city this morning.

Police have said the investigation will be "lengthy and complex". It is expected to last at least four years.

Statements given by witnesses to the Saville Inquiry cannot be used as evidence in criminal proceedings.

Police have therefore urged those people to come forward again to make official statements.

"Senior police met a delegation in Derry today representing some of the victims killed on Bloody Sunday," said a PSNI spokeswoman.

"Following consultation earlier this year with the Public Prosecution Service, officers provided an outline of the processes involved and the challenges posed by a criminal investigation into the events of 30 January 1972.

"The delegation was informed about the appointment from Serious Crime Branch of a senior investigating officer and the allocation of resources to create an investigation team which will begin work in the new year.

"For the investigation to be as comprehensive and effective as possible, police will be asking for public support in the form of witnesses who gave evidence to the Saville Inquiry now making statements to detectives.

"This is because police are precluded from using Saville testimony in a criminal investigation. Details on how this process will be facilitated will be made available in the near future.

"Police have also undertaken to provide updates to surviving victims and all the families who lost relatives on Bloody Sunday through the course of the investigation which will be lengthy and complex."

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz