Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 24 September 2014

Body in bin horror: man admits killing

An east Belfast man has admitted the killing of a 34-year-old father of two whose dismembered body was found in a bin in August last year.

The guilty plea by 43-year-old Mark Anthony Warwick to the manslaughter of William McClatchey was accepted on grounds of diminished responsibility.

No details surrounding the August 19 killing of Mr McClatchey, whose body was discovered in a bin at the back of Warwick’s home at Pottinger House apartment block on Castlereagh Street, were given during the brief Belfast Crown Court hearing.

However it was reported at the time that Mr McClatchey, originally from the Taughmonagh estate in south Belfast, had just returned to Northern Ireland.

Sentence on Warwick was adjourned by Mr Justice Stephens until next month. Warwick was due to have gone on trial on the original charge of murder.

However, defence lawyer Denis Boyd asked for Warwick to be re

arraigned on the charge to which he pleaded, “not guilty to murder, guilty of manslaughter”.

Prosecuting QC Philip Mateer said he had had the opportunity of talking with the authorities and Mr McClatchey’s family and

that the guilty plea was acceptable to the prosecution.

He said the plea was on the grounds of diminished responsibility as Warwick suffers from a chronic psychiatric disorder including paranoid schizophrenia.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz