Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 30 August 2014

Brave mum tells of gang rape terror

A mum-of-three who was the victim of a horrific rape in Belfast has spoken for the first time about her nightmare ordeal — to warn other woman of the risk of such an attack.

Mary Hodkinson is facing an agonising wait to see if she contracted Aids in the brutal incident which occurred in a house in south Belfast earlier this month.

After the horrendous sex attack, Mary was thrown out on the street bleeding, battered and semi-naked.

She also fears the sickening sex attack may have been filmed.

A 31-year-old foreign national has already appeared in court in connection with the incident.

Mary revealed to our sister paper Sunday Life that she made the choice to speak out to try and prevent another woman undergoing the same ordeal.

The 33-year-old mother, from the Village area of Belfast, is just one of a growing number of women who have been raped in the south of the city in recent months.

Revealing her ordeal unfolded after attending what she believed would be a house party, Mary said: “The only thing I am guilty of is meeting a couple of guys who were so nice and who told me they were living in my community. I walked back with them and they invited me in for a drink and told me there would be other people in the house.

“I was going back to my area and I thought I would know people at the house and would be safe.

"But once I got in, it was a different story and I think this man was waiting for me.”

Mary was forced into a bedroom where she was beaten and raped.

Admitting her world has been turned upside down since the attack, she continued: “I will never forget the evil in this man’s eyes and I can still hear his mates laughing as they kept the door locked. Once he got me into the room he turned the light off and when I tried to escape and turn it on again he started to beat me.

“He smashed my head off the radiator before kicking me in the legs.

“This man was huge and very strong. I tried to defend myself as best I could but I didn’t stand a chance. He was a monster.

“He was yelling all sorts of abuse at me and when he was finished, he started hitting me again and threw me out on the street when I didn’t even have a chance to get all my clothes on.

“They were all laughing at me as I was thrown on to the street in a distressed state and bleeding all over. The whole experience was terrifying and I couldn’t believe it when I noticed a video camera on top of a cabinet as I was being pushed out the room.

“I would hate to think that my ordeal was recorded and I honestly don’t know how I’m going to get over this.”

Mary said she has been tested to see if she has been infected in the sex attack — but has to wait for the results of an Aids test.

She also paid tribute to her partner, family and those in her community who have helped her in the aftermath of her nightmare ordeal.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz