Belfast Telegraph

Tuesday 30 September 2014

Catholics furious at funeral songs ban

A new row has erupted over Catholic Church rules for funerals. It flared up after jazz musician Paddy Cole revealed yesterday that he was not allowed to play at his mother's funeral Mass.

The flames had earlier been fanned when priests in Castleblayney, Co Monaghan circulated a leaflet at the weekend setting out the rules for funeral Mass from the Bishop of Clogher, Joseph Duffy.



The leaflet states that specially composed poems and favourite songs are in breach of the diocesan regulations.



And even the traditional practice of mourners lining up to shake hands with bereaved families in church is banned during Requeim Mass, although it is still permitted during the removal ceremony.



Mr Cole's comments sparked a rash of calls to a radio show from bereaved families who had been banned from playing "goodbye songs" or giving funeral eulogies.



The jazz star, who comes from the area, said he had played at funerals of friends in Dublin and other parts of the country but had been banned from performing a musical tribute at his mother's funeral.



Listeners then called RTE's 'Liveline' to vent their anger that they were not allowed to recite their memories of loved ones from the altar.



Meanwhile, a survey carried out yesterday by the Irish Independent found there was no specific set of rules applied by all of Ireland's 26 dioceses.



The Bishops Media Office in Maynooth did not have a rundown of the practices followed in each diocese -- and instead referred enquiries to a little-known document issued in November 2003 by the National Institute for Liturgy.



Titled 'Celebrating a Catholic Funeral', it stipulates that the text of the Roman Missal should be used at funerals and that the readings are taken from the sacred scriptures.



"However, some poems are better kept to the less formal stages of the funeral rites, either in the home or at the graveside," the document says.



The document lays down that the homily is to be given by the priest but should be prepared in consultation with the family of the deceased. But it states there should be occasions when a member of the family may speak to the mourners.



"Only one family member should speak. It should be undertaken with the agreement of the celebrant and the prepared text should be discussed with the celebrant at a suitable time before the morning of the funeral. A separate microphone should be used, rather than the ambo, which is reserved for the Word of God."



The first rumblings in this funeral controversy go back to 2000 when the Archbishop of Armagh, Sean Brady, deplored "over the top" eulogies "going on for ever" as "unnecessary duplication" of the more formal aspects of the Catholic rite.



Fr Paddy Jones, of the Liturgical Centre, said that he did not know the specific cases involved, but knew a similar stance was taken by the Bishop of Meath, Michael Smith.



Yesterday, one Co Monaghan undertaker said : "This ruling has caused quite a stir", but nobody wanted to appear disrespectful to the clergy. He added that the playing of a favoured piece of music at the end of the funeral was a "long-standing tradition" which was now being "knocked on the head".

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz