The Belfast Charitable Society has returned to its historic roots by hosting a Georgian Evening for members and friends in its beautiful 18th century Clifton House in North Queen Street.
The society was founded in 1752, with the object of building a poor house and infirmary for the benefit of the poor, sick and destitute, and has continued to offer caring services to the people of Belfast and surrounding area ever since.
Today, the society operates a 100-bed state-of-the-art modern nursing home at Carlisle Circus, while Clifton House provides residential accommodation for the elderly and disabled, as well as a hospitality and interpretative centre covering the society's 250-year involvement with the history and people of the city.
Against a background of candles, firelight and 18th century music, provided by the Belfast School of Music, the Deputy Lord Mayor, Bernie Kelly, and other guests were greeted by staff in period costume, including the traditional society beadle.
The audience were also entertained with talks by Lorna Anderson, chairman of the society, and Lady Moyra Quigley, society president, on the contribution made by the society today and on its Georgian past.