Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 12 July 2014

End of the road for Lisa Dorrian poster

An advert appealing for help in finding missing Lisa Dorrian is to be moved to a new location after it was removed by the Roads Service.

The billboard, carrying a direct message to the killers of the pretty 25-year-old shop worker, had been placed on the side of the main Belfast to Bangor carriageway.

However, after businesses began to place their own advertisements next to the Lisa Dorrian billboard, a decision was made to move it.

Lisa's sister, Michelle Dorrian, said the family plans to relocate the billboard elsewhere in the future.

She said: " We're not actually sure where it is going to go or when but we will be going back out. It's just important that we keep the campaign in the public eye."

As well as the billboard campaign, beer mats and bathroom adverts have also distributed in pubs in Bangor on Saturday night to highlight the family's plight.

Lisa's mum, Patricia, has repeatedly described the importance of giving her daughter a Christian burial and has even said that it would be preferable to seeing the people who murdered Lisa behind bars.

Detectives believe that a small number of people in Bangor, Newtownards and Rathcoole know what happened to the 25-year-old, who disappeared in the early hours of February 28, 2005 from a caravan at Ballyhalbert, Co Down

Although they said no decisions have been made about a new location for the billboard or when it will, it is important to keep the campaign in the public eye.

Despite extensive searches, arrests and inquiries Lisa's body has never been found.

Last month, a coroner's court inquest into Lisa's death was put on hold.

Police asked for the hearing to be delayed because of the ongoing investigation into her murder in February 2005. Her body has never been recovered.

The inquest had been due to take place in Belfast, but police intervened to postpone it.

A PSNI spokesman said at the time: "This remains a live investigation and it would not be in its interests to hold an inquest at this time."

No date has been set for a new hearing, but it is not expected to take place until next year at the very earliest.

A spokeswoman from the DRD said: "The Lisa Dorrian sign was placed on an adopted road on a lay-by on the Sydenham bypass in contravention of Article 87 of the Roads Order 1993.

"The sign trailer was removed to safe storage within a Roads Service depot by the department's staff."

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz