Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 20 September 2014

Former holy cross priest hits out at church abuse

Former Holy Cross priest Father Aidan Troy has hit out at the Catholic Church from his new parish in France over the issue of clerical child abuse.

The well-known priest has called on the church to halt recruitment to the priesthood until it has addressed the issue properly.

In an interview in a Sunday newspaper yesterday. Fr Troy accused the Catholic Church of a “wholly inadequate response” to the recent revelations over clerical child abuse.

“I’m ashamed by the Church’s response to the Ryan report,” he told the Sunday Tribune.

“It has been more about improving the Church’s image than tackling fundamental problems.”

He added that he believed trust in the Church had been badly affected by the episode.

“The Church must halt recruitment, reform and reorganise, then begin again,” he said.

“Instead it says ‘this abuse is awful’ but continues its old failed ways. We have a broken, wounded Church and those wounds are self-inflicted.”

His congregation in Paris is around 2,000-strong and includes people from 40 nationalities, a far cry from his daily routine in Ardoyne, north Belfast.

“On my morning walk to Ardoyne shops for the paper somebody would ask me to sign a Mass card,” he said. “Somebody else would say: ‘Father, will you visit my sick mother in hospital?’

“I miss all that, but there are other challenges here.”

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz