Belfast Telegraph

Friday 19 September 2014

Fraud inquiry over GMTV phone-ins

The Serious Fraud Office is reviewing evidence from media watchdog Ofcom in the GMTV phone-in scandal, it said today.

Last month Ofcom fined the breakfast broadcaster a record £2m after millions of viewers were charged to enter competitions they had no chance of winning.

The SFO has asked Ofcom to provide documents relating to the case, in order to decide whether a criminal investigation should be launched.

"Following media reports and some complaints received from the general public about GMTV's use of premium rate telephone services, we are in touch with Ofcom, although no SFO investigation is under way," a spokeswoman for the SFO said.

"Furthermore, the SFO will await the outcome of Ofcom's investigation into ITV's use of premium rate telephone services as highlighted in the Deloitte report published yesterday," she added.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz