Belfast Telegraph

Sunday 20 April 2014

Hospital death was linked to superbug

A Belfast man who went into hospital with an abdominal complaint ended up dying from multiple brain haemorrhages brought on by a hospital superbug, an inquest was told yesterday.

James Sherlock, who was retired, died at the Royal Victoria Hospital on New Year’s Day 2007 in what his doctor said was the first case he’d come across, in all his years as a consultant of the infection MSSA contributing to a patient’s death.

Yesterday, at an inquest into his death, Coroner Brian Sherrard found the 77-year-old from the Ormeau Road area of Belfast died from haemorrhages which were caused by septicaemia.

This septicaemia had resulted from him picking up a hospital-acquired infection called ‘methicillin-sensitive Staphylococcus aureus’, or MSSA.

Belfast Coroner’s Court was told the former managing director of a fruit importing company went to hospital with an abdominal complaint in November 2006 and died just over a month later when his condition deteriorated.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz