Belfast Telegraph

Tuesday 23 September 2014

Israel snubs growing calls for ceasefire

Israel ignored mounting international calls for a ceasefire, vowing not to stop its crippling 10-day assault until “peace and tranquillity” was achieved in towns in the line of Palestinian rocket fire.



Israeli forces seized control of high-rise buildings and attacked smuggling tunnels and several mosques in a campaign against Hamas militants that took an increasing toll on civilians.

Three young brothers were reported to have been killed during shelling and Palestinian wounded filled hospital corridors.

Three Israeli soldiers were killed last night when an errant tank shell hit their position outside Gaza City, the Israeli military said, and 24 were wounded, one critically and three seriously.

The incident brought the death toll among Israeli soldiers since the invasion began on Saturday to four. The military said a senior officer, Col Avi Peled, who commands the Golani infantry brigade, was among the lightly wounded.

Five civilians were killed when a shell fired by an Israeli ship hit their house on the Gaza shore, hospital officials said. Palestinians said Israeli attacks intensified before dawn today.

Arab delegates met the United Nations Security Council in New York yesterday, urging members to adopt a resolution calling for an immediate end to the Israeli attacks and a permanent ceasefire. At the same time, diplomats and European leaders travelled the region in an effort to stop Israel’s expanding ground and air offensive.

Military spokesman Brig Gen Avi Benayahu told Israeli TV the assault was going according to plan with forces sweeping through Palestinian rocket launching locations near the border and the militants suffering many casualties.

But no militant casualties were seen yesterday by an Associated Press reporter at Shifa Hospital, the Gaza Strip’s largest. Instead, the hospital was overwhelmed with civilians. Bodies were two to a mortuary drawer, and the wounded were being treated in hallways because beds were full.

Gaza health chiefs reported that since the campaign began on December 27 more than 550 Palestinians had been killed and 2,500 wounded, including 200 civilians.

UN humanitarian chief John Holmes told reporters in New York yesterday that it believed at least 500 people had been killed in the fighting and that as many as 25% were civilians.

At least 20 Palestinian children were killed during the day, said Dr Moaiya Hassanain, a health official. Most confirmed deaths had been civilians.

The three young brothers died in an attack on a town outside Gaza City, a Gaza health official said. They were carried to a cemetery in an emotional funeral. One of them, Issa Samouni, three, was wrapped in a white cloth, showing only his pale, yellow face. A man delicately placed him in a dark grave cut into the earth.

In Shajaiyeh, troops seized control of three six-storey buildings on the outskirts, climbing to rooftop gun and observation positions, Israeli defence officials said. Residents were locked in their rooms and soldiers took away their mobile phones, a neighbour said.

“The army is there, firing in all directions,” said Mohammed Salmai, a 29-year-old truck driver. “All we can do is take clothes to each other to keep ourselves warm and pray to God that if we die, someone will find our bodies under the rubble.”

Fighter jets attacked houses, weapons storage sites, a pair of mosques and smuggling tunnels, as they have since the start of the offensive.

In another strategic move, Israeli forces seized a main highway in Gaza, slicing the territory in two. Israeli defence officials said one soldier was killed when troops fought off an attempt by Hamas fighters to capture Israeli soldiers hours after the ground operation began.

Israeli forces detained 80 Palestinians — some of them suspected Hamas members.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz