Belfast Telegraph

Friday 1 August 2014

Man won’t face trial over death of burglar

The law should be strengthened to protect home owners who confront burglars, the mother of a man cleared of murdering a teenage intruder has said.

Omari Roberts (23) was told by the Crown Prosecution Service that no evidence would be offered against him, the day he was due to stand trial for the murder of 17-year-old Tyler Juett.

Nottingham Crown Court heard Roberts confronted the teenager after he returned home from work for a lunch break in March, 2009.

He found the patio door of his mother's house in the Basford area of Nottingham smashed in.

Roberts then grabbed a kitchen knife from a drawer to protect himself as he was attacked by Juett's 14-year-old accomplice, who is believed to have been armed with a blade.

In the struggle, the youngster, who cannot be named, was stabbed twice in the knee and chased by Roberts.

Juett, who was upstairs ransacking a bedroom, rushed down the stairs to confront Roberts, who stabbed the teenager in the shoulder, severing a major artery.

Roberts was formally found not guilty yesterday and was discharged by Mrs Justice Dobbs. Outside court, Roberts said the experience had been “horrific”.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz