Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 28 August 2014

McCanns cleared of involvement in daughter Madeleine's disappearance

Missing: Madeleine McCann

Kate and Gerry McCann vowed to continue the search for their daughter Madeleine tonight after the Portuguese authorities shelved their investigation into the child's disappearance.

The English couple welcomed prosecutors' decision to lift their status as ``arguidos'', or formal suspects, but said they had no cause for celebration.

Her voice breaking with emotion, Kate McCann said: "We will never give up on Madeleine. We welcome the news today, although it is no cause for celebration.

"We look forward to scrutinising the police files to see what has actually been done and more importantly what can still be done as we leave no stone unturned in the search for our little girl.

"It is hard to describe how utterly desprairing it was to be named arguidos (suspect) and subsequently portrayed in the media as suspects in our own daughter's abduction and worse.

"Equally it has been devastating to witness the detrimental effect this status has had on the search for Madeleine."

Family spokesman Clarence Mitchell said the arguidos status issue had been "a distraction".

He said: "The main thing now is to get everything back onto finding Madeleine.

"The only thing they care about is finding their daughter," he added.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz