Belfast Telegraph

Tuesday 23 September 2014

Agencies defend response to Belfast floods

Police stranded in Belfast. June 2012
East Belfast floods. Image submitted by Conor Dunn
Flooding has left parts of south and east Belfast under water

Agencies dealing with widespread flooding in Belfast two months ago said they handled the situation as best they could.

Homes and businesses were flooded after surprise torrential rain on June 27.

During a special sitting of the regional development committee yesterday its chair Jimmy Spratt said a report by Belfast City Council had pointed to shortcomings in the emergency response.

Sarah Venning of NI Water told members that the rainfall had been exceptional.

She added that 58mm of rain had fallen within a few hours in Castlereagh on the day in question — more than the month of May.

“Our pumps and equipment operated continuously throughout the event, they just could not move the amount of water presented to them,” she said.

Colin Sykes from Roads Service apologised but said resources were “primarily deployed to roads-related flooding”.

A full multi-agency review into the flooding is still ongoing.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife Galleries

More

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz