Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 23 April 2014

Alleged gunman in double murder of two Catholic workmen not questioned, court hears

A man identified by a new witness as being the alleged gunman in the double murder of two Catholic workmen has still not been questioned by detectives, the High Court has heard.

A judge was also told how a former police ombudsman found evidence of RUC collusion in the loyalist assassination of Gary Convie and Eamon Fox in north Belfast 20 years ago.

As Mr Justice Horner granted bail to a man now accused over the shootings, he said: "The court has an incomplete picture as a result of deliberate decisions taken by the prosecution."

Mark Campbell (42) of Canning Place in the city, was arrested and charged with the murders earlier this month.

Mr Convie (24) and Mr Fox (44) were gunned down in their car at a building site in North Queen Street on May 17, 1994.

Campbell is also accused of attempting to murder their work colleague Donal Laverty in the same incident, and possessing a submachine gun and ammunition with intent to endanger life.

All of the alleged offences are denied.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz