Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 17 September 2014

Belfast chef who accidentally drank oven cleaner fighting for life in hospital

Accident: Paul Maskey

A chef aged 40 is fighting for his life in hospital after he accidentally drank from a bottle believed to have contained oven cleaner after he started his shift at a restaurant in west Belfast.

Sean Slane, who lives near the Falls Road, was rushed to the Royal Victoria Hospital after he picked up what he thought was a bottle of water.

The incident happened at Goodfellas pizzeria in Kennedy Way when he picked up a branded drink bottle. A spokesperson for the Belfast Health and Social Care Trust confirmed last night that he was in a critical condition.

A neighbour of Mr Slane said she was shocked and horrified at the "tragic incident".

"He's a lovely man and a very hard worker and I am shocked to hear that has happened to him," she said.

"He's quite well-known in the area.

"He lives in the area with his family and I would see him going in and out of the house quite regularly.

"I hope he is okay after this and makes a full recovery, as his family will be worried and at his bedside at the hospital.

"I wish him all the best and hope to see him soon."

West Belfast MP Paul Maskey described the incident as a tragic accident.

"My thoughts and sympathy are with this individual and I hope he makes a full recovery from it," the Sinn Fein politician said.

"I'm sure his work colleagues, family, friends and anyone else who knows him from the west Belfast area will be shocked at this.

"It is a tragic accident and I hope he makes a speedy recovery."

When contacted by the Belfast Telegraph, Goodfellas restaurant did not want to make a comment at this time. The pizzeria was still open yesterday evening for business, with little sign of what had happened earlier in the day.

The popular family-owned Italian-themed restaurant has been open since 1991.

Nightlife Galleries

More

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz