Government and society must have the guts to confront past wrongs in Northern Ireland if the region is to look to a better future, a senior Catholic Church leader said on Friday.
Bishop of Down and Connor Noel Treanor stressed the need for lingering sores from the Troubles to be salved as he publicly backed a campaign for an inquiry into the British Army killings of 11 people in west Belfast almost 40 years ago.
Young Catholic priest Hugh Mullan was among those shot dead by soldiers in the so-called Ballymurphy massacre in August 1971.
Dr Treanor met and prayed with bereaved relatives at the scene of the shootings before presenting them with a previously undisclosed report compiled by the Church at the time of the killings.
"It is important in an integrated way as we build a shared future in this society that we courageously and openly have the guts to address the entire ballast of the past, the weight of the past, so we may go forward in a healthy way to construct a shared future," he said.
The shootings took place over a three-day period after the Army entered the republican Ballymurphy area to round up suspected paramilitaries after the Northern Ireland government introduced the controversial policy of internment without trial.
Relatives' calls for an internationally chaired independent investigation have intensified since the publication in June of the Saville report into the British Army killings of 14 people on Bloody Sunday in Londonderry in 1972.
Some of the soldiers who were involved in that notorious incident in Derry had been in Ballymurphy six months earlier.
Dr Treanor said he is backing the relatives' demand for a new investigation into the events and an acknowledgement and apology from the British Government.
The bill for the 12-year long Bloody Sunday inquiry was almost £200 million and the bishop stressed that the cost of any similar probe into the Ballymurphy incidents had to be kept under control.