Supporters of a dissident republican held in Maghaberry jail for two years without charge are to launch an international campaign to have him freed.
They plan to lobby MPs, TDs, and MLAs, as well as human rights organisations across the world, to urge the authorities to free double-killer Martin Corey.
Details of the campaign will be launched at a Press conference in Belfast today.
Lurgan man Corey (61), who served 19 years in the Maze for murdering two RUC officers, was freed on licence in 1992. Two years ago the Government revoked his licence on the basis of “closed material” from the intelligence services alleging his involvement in dissident republican activity.
Cait Trainor of the Release Martin Corey Committee said: “This isn’t a republican issue, it’s a human rights issue.
“A man has been kept in jail for over two years without charge, trial or even seeing the evidence against him. It is preposterous.”
Earlier this month ex-Provisional IRA member Corey won a judicial review over a subsequent Parole Commissioners’ decision to keep him behind bars.
Mr Justice Treacy ruled that his human rights had been breached under European law and said Corey should be freed on unconditional bail while the Parole Commissioners reconsidered their decision.
But hours later the Secretary of State blocked the release and the Court of Appeal ruled he should remain in Maghaberry. His case is due before the courts again on September 28.
Sinn Fein is backing the campaign to free Corey but Ms Trainor said support would be sought across the political spectrum: “People don’t have to agree with Martin Corey’s politics to see what is happening to him is wrong.”