Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 22 October 2014

Families in limbo over unsolved murders until HET's future is sorted

GAA figure Sean Brown was murdered by loyalists
GAA figure Sean Brown was murdered by loyalists

Reports on unsolved murders in Northern Ireland are to be withheld from victims' families until the future of the Historical Enquiries Team (HET) is sorted out, it has emerged.

A policing watchdog has criticised the group of detectives for acting unlawfully, and an embargo has been placed on releasing future reviews, an inquest heard. PSNI Chief Constable Matt Baggott is in discussions with the Policing Board to decide the way forward.

The family of Sean Brown, a south Derry GAA figure murdered by loyalists as he locked the club gates in 1997, was told they would not be receiving the report until a new investigator had "quality checked" previous HET work.

Senior coroner John Leckey said: "I have always felt that this was one of the most horrific murders in the course of the Troubles and I would be keen to give some priority to it."

The HET investigated cases where the State was involved with "less rigour" than others, the Inspectorate of Constabulary said last year.

It said the HET's policy was based on a "misrepresentation of the law". Since then its head, Dave Cox, has departed and Mr Baggott and the board are considering options for reform, HET lawyer Ken Boyd said.

He said a draft report into Mr Brown's murder had been prepared by an officer who has left the HET and a new officer was reviewing work carried out.

"The draft report cannot be handed to the families at this stage because it has to be quality assured," he told the Belfast hearing.

He said there was an embargo on handing reports to families at present.

"Once the decision has been made as to how the new HET will be formulated, then the work will commence again."

Work will continue on the review in the interim period.

Mr Brown (61) was murdered by loyalists in Bellaghy, Co Londonderry, in 1997 and an inquest into his death has been repeatedly delayed.

Mr Leckey said: "As presently resourced, the Coroner's Service cannot give any commitment to specify a date for the holding of this inquest.

"I personally am involved in the inquests that are known as the Stalker inquests (probing whether security forces operated a shoot to kill policy)."

Mr Boyd said preparatory work on legal documents should be complete by May or June. Around 24 files have to be considered by the coroner before the full inquest can be held.

Family lawyer Ian Skelt urged the coroner to schedule the inquest for the autumn if possible, but said he was aware that his diary was full with other cases.

Mr Brown was abducted by an LVF gang as he locked up the Wolfe Tones GAA club.

The father-of-six was shot six times in the head and his body was later found beside his burning car near Randalstown.

FACTFILE

Three-quarters of families whose relatives' killings were investigated by the HET believe it should be disbanded.

The review for victims' lobby group Relatives for Justice, claimed investigators rejected any suggestion of State collusion in the murder of a Catholic civilian by loyalists.

Only 12% of bereaved family members interviewed were totally glad they had worked with detectives. Inadequate final reports and difficulty obtaining information from the independent group of officers investigating more than 3,000 unresolved deaths were among claims made by victims' families.

Nightlife Galleries

More

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz