Belfast Telegraph

Friday 25 July 2014

Family's joy as Oscar Knox is allowed to return home

Oscar Knox
Oscar Knox

Little Oscar Knox has been released from hospital in a positive step forward for the brave four-year-old who is battling cancer for the second time.

Supporters quickly congratulated the little Belfast boy, after his release from hospital yesterday afternoon was tweeted from the #FEARLESS Oscar Knox account.

"Happy Friday everyone... I'm going home! #TeamOscar YAAAAAY," the tweet yesterday afternoon said.

A picture of the little boy, dressed in a green and grey striped t-shirt, characteristically smiling and giving the thumbs up in a hospital corridor, was also tweeted.

Oscar, who was a finalist in the Belfast Telegraph's Making The Difference awards earlier this year, captured the hearts of thousands online as he battled with a rare form of cancer.

His father Stephen confirmed that Oscar had been released from hospital, as the family prepared to head home.

However, his parents have appealed for privacy as they try to maintain normality for Oscar while the little boy receives treatment.

Supporters quickly congratulated the four-year-old on his release from hospital. One supporter responded: "@Wee_Oscar check out your little Iz holding the fort when you're in hospital" – referring to the Oscar's little sister, Izzy.

In August, Oscar's parents said they were heartbroken as they revealed the devastating news that the little boy's cancer had returned.

Stephen and Leona Knox were given the devastating news during a trip to Scotland.

It came less than four months after they were told their son was disease-free.

The little boy was given the all clear in April.

Leona said they were "shocked, scared and overwhelmed" by the news.

The four-year-old Mallusk boy's brave fight with neuroblastoma, an aggressive form of cancer, has captured the hearts of tens of thousands of people across Northern Ireland and beyond.

He has touched the hearts of thousands with his brave fight since being diagnosed with the rare and aggressive childhood cancer in November 2011.

Oscar's parents went public in a bid to raise awareness and funds for his care.

A huge support campaign was launched, backed by celebrities including Olympic medal-winning boxers Paddy Barnes and Michael Conlan.

Oscar has also received support from the players and management at Glasgow Celtic Football Club.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz