A woman allegedly attacked and threatened by her ex-partner in a Belfast hotel room was there working as a prostitute, the High Court has been told.
Their infant son was also present when the alleged assault occurred last month, a judge heard.
The woman claims a knife was put to her throat after she refused to have sex with the accused, a 38-year-old chef.
The man, a Bangladeshi national who cannot be named to protect his son's identity, faces charges of common assault and threats to kill.
Police and ambulance services were called to the Ramada Encore in the city centre on March 19.
The alleged ordeal, which involved punching, kicking and being threatened with a knife, lasted for around an hour. The accused was not arrested until police found him hiding under a car in the city centre last week, prosecuting counsel Conor Maguire said.
The man denies the charges, claiming she had already been assaulted when he arrived at the hotel, according to defence lawyer Mark Farrell.
Mr Farrell said: "This man's partner, the injured party, left him and she began working as a prostitute in the Belfast area.
"The child had been exposed to this. It's a very tragic case."
After being informed that social services are now involved, Mr Justice O'Hara granted bail for the man to stay at a Co Down address.