Belfast Telegraph

Monday 15 September 2014

Kincora: MP Keith Vaz backs call for east Belfast home to be included in UK-wide inquiry

Belfast home should be probed, says committee chief

Dark secrets: Kincora Boys' Home in east Belfast, where children were abused for years
There is a compelling case for the former Kincora Boys' Home in Belfast to be included in the Westminster-driven inquiry into allegations of a paedophile ring operating at the heart of the British Establishment. Picture posed
There is a compelling case for the former Kincora Boys' Home in Belfast to be included in the Westminster-driven inquiry into allegations of a paedophile ring operating at the heart of the British Establishment. Picture posed
Keith Vaz (right) supports an inquiry
Keith Vaz (right) supports an inquiry

Kincora Boys’ Home should be included in a UK-wide investigation into child abuse, the chair of Westminister’s Home Affairs Committee has said.

Keith Vaz added his voice to a series of calls for activities at the east Belfast home to be included in the Westminister inquiry which is being set up to examine how public institutions handled children in their care.

The Labour MP said: “It's caused so much concern to individual MPs from Northern Ireland that we need to once and for all deal with this problem.

“With a big inquiry such as the one that Theresa May has suggested, it's important that it be included and that someone from Northern Ireland sits on the panel of experts.”

In 1981 three senior care staff at the home were jailed for abusing 11 boys but there have been persistent allegations that senior establishment figures visited the home to abuse boys and this was covered up.

Mr Vaz said he would speak to members of the and to political parties in Northern Ireland before making recommendations to David Cameron.

He said: “I think it's important that we should get the support of everyone and then make it very clear to the Government that I do

support one over-arching inquiry.”

There have been claims that senior politicians were linked to the sex abuse allegations.

Peter Saunders, the chief executive of Napac (National Association of People Abused in Childhood) also called for the inquiry to include Kincora.

He said the crimes at the east Belfast home had been “swept under the carpet for generations”.

“I cannot name names on live radio, but there are certainly names of the highest profile connected with these outrageous crimes.

“Files have been destroyed, there is no question of that, and in itself that indicates the very seriousness of this situation.

“The truth has to come out. If the truth doesn't come out, then our children remain in danger for the future,” he said.

The call comes as a former Army captain said he is prepared to tell the official inquiry how attempts to expose child abuse at the home were blocked by MI5.

Colin Wallace, a psychological warfare expert who served during the Troubles, says he and a number of other retired officers would be prepared to give evidence.

Mr Wallace feels the inquiry could be the last chance to find out the truth of what happened at Kincora.

The head of the abuse inquiry, Lady Butler-Sloss, stepped down on Monday.

Chris Massey interview from BBC Good Morning Ulster

Chris Massey interview part 2

 

Further reading

I will reveal the secrets, says ex-Army officer Colin Wallace  

How Colin Wallace's world turned upside down  

Now it's no longer merely a Northern Ireland nightmare

Chance to uncover Kincora Boys' Home truth

Kincora abuse horror: Claims not incredible: ex-police chief

MI5 knew about it but did nothing, that much is certain 

Full story of Kincora Boys' Home in east Belfast yet to be told, says child sex abuse victim

Ulster Unionist leader Mike Nesbitt joins calls for inquiry into abuse at boys' home

Baroness's brother 'tried to limit probe into Kincora'

MI5 'must hand over files on abuse at east Belfast boys' home' 

Editor's viewpoint: We must know truth of Kincora

Child abuse inquiry must look at Kincora Boys' Home, says Amnesty International

MI5 'blocked exposure of Kincora sex abuse scandal'

South African intelligence 'secretly backed loyalist paramilitary group Tara'

Kincora Boys' Home scandal: journalist Peter McKenna dies

State papers: The perjury that allowed Kincora suspect preacher to walk

Westminster’s dark secret: abuse of children, adultery, homosexuality and sadomasochism were all seemingly lumped together

Civil servant Mark Sedwill admits Home Office ‘probably’ destroyed paedophile dossiers 

Westminster child abuse dossier: Geoffrey Dickens also gave copy of file to top prosecutor Sir Thomas Hetherington - so why did DPP fail to act on evidence of paedophile ring? 

Historic child abuse files missing

Tory peer Lord Brittan defends handling of 1980s sex abuse dossier

Abuse claims police matter - Clegg

Abuse probe 'into soul of society'

From the archives

Kincora: Sex racket at children's home (Irish Independent, 1980)

Nightlife Galleries

More

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz