Belfast Telegraph

Tuesday 16 September 2014

Leslie Ross in court charged with murder of two ex-lovers in Dromore

A 66-year-old man - Leslie Ross - has been charged with the murder of two women from Dromore in Co Down. Pic Charles McQuillan/Pacemaker
A 66-year-old man - Leslie Ross - has been charged with the murder of two women from Dromore in Co Down. Pic Charles McQuillan/Pacemaker
Defence solicitor Conleth Downey of 66-year-old Leslie Ross who has been charged with the murder of two women from Dromore in Co Down.  Pic Colm Lenaghan/Pacemaker
Defence solicitor Conleth Downey of 66-year-old Leslie Ross who has been charged with the murder of two women from Dromore in Co Down. Pic Colm Lenaghan/Pacemaker
013 PACEMAKER PRESS INTL. Family members and friends as they arrive at court earlier as a 66-year-old man has been charged with the murder of two women from Dromore in County Down. Pic Charles McQuillan/Pacemaker
013 PACEMAKER PRESS INTL. Family members and friends as they arrive at court earlier as a 66-year-old man has been charged with the murder of two women from Dromore in County Down. Pic Charles McQuillan/Pacemaker

A stonemason has appeared in court in Northern Ireland charged with the murders of two former girlfriends.

Leslie Ross, from Magenlis Park in Dromore, Co Down, was remanded in custody by a district judge in Armagh city.

The 66-year-old is accused of the murders of Michelle Bickerstaff (47) and Margaret Weise (50).

He also faces other charges including indecent assault and committing an act of gross indecency with a child.

Ross confirmed that he understood the charges against him.

Defence solicitor Conleth Downey told the court his client denies all the allegations and will be making an application for bail at a later date.

Mr Downey said: "During three days of questioning my client robustly and vehemently denied the charges."

Mr Downey also told the sitting at Armagh Magistrates' Court the defendant's home had been attacked as a result of the high profile case.

PSNI Detective Sergeant Mark Gibson, who said he was closely involved with the case, told the court he believed he could connect Ross to the charges.

Ross showed no emotion as the charges were put to him.

He was dressed in a black jacket and jeans and appeared tired and drawn.

Deputy District Judge Chris Holmes remanded Ross in custody to appear again via videolink next month.

As he was led out of the dock flanked by two prison guards, Ross glanced at relatives of his alleged victims who had packed the public gallery of courtroom number two.

None of the families of the two alleged victims wanted to speak afterwards.

Outside the courthouse Ross's lawyer said he would be strongly contesting the charges.

He said: "In essence Mr Ross has indicated that he categorically and vehemently denies all allegations of wrongdoing.

"That has been pointed out to the court this morning and at the earliest opportunity he will robustly defend all matters."

Ross is due to appear at Banbridge Magistrates' Court on September 19.

Nightlife Galleries

More

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz