Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 2 October 2014

Man arrested over attempt to kill police officers on Duncrue towpath

Police chiefs said it was possible the officers – two men and one woman – were being watched by those who planted the bomb when they were called to an incident at Duncrue pathway
Police chiefs said it was possible the officers – two men and one woman – were being watched by those who planted the bomb when they were called to an incident at Duncrue pathway

Detectives investigating the Duncrue towpath blast have arrested a 39-year-old man on suspicion of attempted murder.

Two policemen and one policewoman were only metres from the bomb when it partially exploded on the busy coastal path, near the M5, on March 9.

They escaped injury but the PSNI said the bomb attack was a sophisticated and well-planned attempt to kill the officers.

The device is believed to have been detonated by a mobile phone as the officers responded to a call alleging a crime had been committed in the area.

The man was detained by the PSNI's Serious Crime Branch in the Belfast area early on Thursday morning.

Dissident republicans were blamed for the attack. A gun was later found on the towpath.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife Galleries

More

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz