Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 17 April 2014

Man died after 'massive' overdose

A young man in Co Antrim died after taking a massive dose of mephedrone, an inquest has ruled

A young man died after taking a massive dose of mephedrone, an inquest has ruled.

Martin Morrow, 20, went on a days-long partying binge in the Co Antrim harbour town of Larne fuelled by the stimulant drug, his family told Belfast coroner's court.

He is one of the first victims in Northern Ireland to die from the substance, which was legally available at the time he died last year.

Mephedrone produces an effect similar to ecstasy and was cheaply accessed in Larne and via the internet, Mr Morrow's girlfriend told the inquest.

His mother Isobel Morrow said: "We lost our wee boy the first drug he took, he went and we could not get him back."`

The keen sportsman, whose girlfriend Emma Graffin had his baby after he died, was taken to hospital after turning blue during a party at the ground-floor Seacourt Road flat in April 2010, shortly before the drug was outlawed.

Assistant state pathologist Dr Alistair Bentley said his blood had an exceptionally high level of mephedrone, which doctors confirmed left him suffering from very high temperatures and prevented his blood from clotting.

Mephedrone became a Class B drug across the UK last year following public concern about its use.

It is sold as a white powder which is usually snorted similarly to cocaine.

Mr Morrow, from Old Glenarm Road, Larne, started taking it in late 2009. His mother and his partner had tried to support him but there had been instances when he disappeared to party for days on end while on ecstasy, cocaine, speed or mephedrone.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz