Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 27 November 2014

Man held in car hijackings hunt

Chief Superintendent Alan McCrum had vowed to hunt down the car hijackers responsible for crimes in Belfast
Chief Superintendent Alan McCrum had vowed to hunt down the car hijackers responsible for crimes in Belfast

A 19-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the recent spate of vehicle hijackings in Belfast.

There have been 12 incidents in the past fortnight, mostly targeting women drivers.

Police have set up a taskforce to deal with the attacks.

They said the man had been arrested and was helping police with their inquiries.

The PSNI has established the specialist team of officers to combat the escalating problem.

The majority of victims have been women driving on their own while many of the stolen cars have been found abandoned in the west of the city.

Police commander in Belfast Chief Superintendent Alan McCrum said the public would see a visible increase in patrols in the city as officers strived to catch those responsible.

"Those that are involved, my message to them is: you will be caught and you will be brought before the courts," he said.

Mr McCrum added: "They are not going to get away with it because we are going to hunt them down and let me be very clear about that."

Nightlife Galleries

More

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz