A man who was shot multiple times in the legs by masked men in north Belfast is now in a stable condition in hospital.
The victim of the attack — which has been condemned as “vigilantism” by politicians — had been left in a critical condition in the Royal Victoria Hospital.
Three men wearing balaclavas forced their way into the house in Brompton Park in the Ardoyne area shortly before 10pm on Monday night.
The man, who is in his late 20s, was believed to have been with his mother in the house at the time.
It is understood the shooting was carried out by Oglaigh na hEireann (ONH).
A spokeswoman for the Royal Victoria Hospital said his condition had been improving.
She said: “He is now stable and his condition is improving.”
Just hours later a second man was shot in Belfast. Shortly before 10.30am yesterday the 18-year-old was shot twice in each leg at a flat on the Antrim Road.
SDLP MLA Alban Maginness condemned the attack, also believed to have been carried out by the dissident group ONH.
“This vigilante justice is not welcome in Ardoyne and must not be allowed to have any place in our society,” he said.
Nigel Dodds, the DUP MP for North Belfast, said: “These are appaling incidents of violence.
“There can be no justification or excuse for the infliction of severe violence or the illegal use of guns.
“We know from the past actions of paramilitaries that so-called punishment shootings are designed to intimidate communities and to increase fear.
“Far from being a genuine response to tackling anti-social behaviour, they are designed to cause a breakdown in order and to foster a culture of lawlessness in which criminal mafia gangs can thrive.”
Sinn Fein councillor for the area Gerard McCabe also spoke out against the violent attacks.
“The people who are responsible for the shootings are coming out of the shadows, shooting these people and disappearing,” he said.
“There is not the support for these people.”