Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 23 July 2014

Mater hospital will retain its A&E, vows minister

There are no plans to make any changes to A&E at the Mater Hospital, the Health Minister has said.

Responding to a question on the future of the Mater, Michael McGimpsey said there would be no changes to the casualty unit.

The future of the Mater's A&E was cast into doubt in June when the Belfast Trust published plans to designate it as a local hospital — meaning many acute services would be scrapped.

Mr McGimpsey recently approved proposals to downgrade the A&E overnight at the Downe Hospital — also a local hospital — after South Eastern Trust bosses reported difficulties in attracting adequately trained doctors.

However, at Stormont yesterday, Mr McGimpsey said the Mater’s future was assured. "That hospital has a very important role to play in the delivery of hospital services in Belfast,’’ he said.

Last week a team looking to make savings in the NHS suggested cutting the number of acute hospitals and increasing the number of local hospitals across Northern Ireland.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz