The National Union of Journalists (NUJ) has hit out against the shooting of a press photographer, claiming journalists should be allowed to work free from intimidation.
Niall Carson, who works for the Press Association, was in a stable condition in the Royal Victoria Hospital last night after being shot during rioting in east Belfast on Tuesday.
The award-winning photographer described the situation as “mayhem” on Facebook.
“I thought I had been shot with a plastic bullet, then came the feeling of cold blood running down my leg. However, there was no pain until I got to the hospital,” he said.
Fellow photographer Peter Muhly said he saw a pistol being aimed over a wall and a person taking aim before firing.
NUJ Irish Secretary Seamus Dooley said the shooting represented an attack on the media in Northern Ireland and was “extremely worrying”.
“This photographer was injured doing his job,” he said.
“It is vital journalists be allowed to carry out their duties without fear of attack. This incident is part of an assault on the people of Northern Ireland. The riots represent an attack on the community, who have a right to live in peace. Our thoughts are with those who have suffered in the past 48 hours.”