Health and safety experts are investigating if an oil-fired central heating system was the source of a carbon monoxide leak thatclaimed the lives of a Fermanagh couple in their own home.
Police have ruled out any suspicious circumstances into the deaths of Killian Scallon and his wife Pauline, who died yesterday, but the Health and Safety Executive is continuing with inquiries.
Since the tragedy unfolded last week there has been speculation over what caused toxic fumes to build up inside the couple’s Kesh Road home in Irvinestown.
It is now understood an oil-fired central heating system could be the source, although last night a spokesman from the HSENI refused to be drawn on the cause.
“Now that the PSNI have rule out any suspicious circumstances, the HSENI will continue to investigate the circumstances of the incident. In light of this, it cannot comment further,” he said.
Yesterday tributes poured in for Mrs Scallon, who died in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
The retired teacher had spent the past six days on a life support machine at the Royal Victoria Hospital after she was found in a critical condition at around 11am last Wednesday.
Mr Scallon, an estate agent aged in his 50s and a nephew of Eurovision Song Contest winner Dana, was found dead at the scene. A post-mortem examination revealed he had died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
There were hopes Mrs Scallon, who was rushed to the Erne Hospital before being transferred to the Royal, might make a recovery.
However, her family’s worst fears were realised yesterday.
Devenish Catholic parish priest Father Michael McGourty said the couple’s two grown-up children, Laura and James, have been left devastated.
“It is just heartbreaking and beyond words for everyone, especially Laura and James,” he said. “Even though we knew the seriousness of the situation we had hoped she could overcome the tragedy, but unfortunately it wasn't to be.”