Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 19 April 2014

Parades Commission body faces debate on future role

The future of the Parades Commission will be debated this September following agreement between the First Minister and Deputy First Minister on renewed efforts to tackle the Ardoyne flashpoint.

Peter Robinson and Martin McGuinness will also consider closer engagement with north Belfast residents to help break the cycle of violence which explodes there every marching season.

This year police officers were injured when petrol bombs and other missiles were hurled by nationalists after an Orange parade passed through the area. Police lines were attacked using a flaming car and 10 shots were fired in the direction of those on duty.

Mr Robinson said there had been some unacceptable and inexcusable scenes.

“In terms of the parading issue there will be a general recognition that the best way of dealing with this was not the Parades Commission and we work on with people connected to the residents and Orange institutions,” he said.

The commission has defended its decision over Ardoyne.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz