Belfast Telegraph

Friday 25 July 2014

Pedestrian dies in bus tragedy

Translink is providing 90 buses to help transport athletes and officials at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow

A pedestrian has died after he was hit by a bus in Northern Ireland.

Robert Morris, 64, from Kilkeel was returning from work in Rostrevor, Co Down when the accident happened.

He was a married father and well-respected member of the local community, local SDLP MLA Sean Rogers said.

"I know the family very well and my heart goes out to them at this terribly sad time. It is devastating news, a real tragedy, and I want to offer my deepest sympathy to his wife and family," he said.

"This is a very sad time and my thoughts and prayers are with them.

"This is a tragedy for the bus driver as well, and for those who witnessed this tragic incident and my thoughts are with them. It is a heart breaking situation."

A Translink spokeswoman said they were co-operating with police.

The latest tragedy brings the number of people who have died on Northern Ireland's roads so far this year to seven.

Earlier this week environment minister Mark Durkan called an urgent meeting to discuss the death toll.

Former colleagues of Mr Morris at Warrenpoint docks held a minute's silence this morning.

He was described as a diligent and hard-working person.

Recently a senior police officer said Northern Ireland was facing a road safety emergency.

Policing Board member Jonathan Craig said: " Over the last number of years, there has been a very strong focus on road safety within and across agencies and this strong partnership working has delivered results in terms of reducing fatalities on our roads.

"Given the comments made, members will seek assurances from the Chief Constable at the February Board meeting about the police response and coordination with other key agencies in response to the current rise in fatalities.

"We do not want any more families experiencing this trauma and our thoughts are with all the families who have lost loved ones this year."

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz