Belfast Telegraph

Monday 1 September 2014

Rioting warning after teenager arrested for possession of petrol bomb

Police have warned young people about the consequences of recreational rioting after a 16-year-old was arrested for possession of a petrol bomb.

Seven arrests have been made in east Belfast since the weekend after an increase in interface violence. The youngest was just 12, with the violence arranged online.

Chief Inspector Darrin Jones said more arrests were imminent.

"Whether you are under 18 or over 18, there are consequences for breaking the law and police will be pursuing individuals involved and bringing them before the courts."

Sinn Fein councillor Niall Ó Donnghaile said children from the Short Strand had arranged clashes using Facebook.

"Unfortunately they are having these incidents at people's front doors. People are very distraught and angry – some people to the extent where they had suggested they were considering moving house because of it," he said.

UUP MLA Michael Copeland said: "The problem needs to be properly addressed and so far neither the police, community workers nor anyone else has any real solution to it."

Nightlife Galleries

More

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz