Belfast Telegraph

Friday 29 August 2014

Shooting accused fails in bid for bail

A knee-capping by alleged dissident republicans in west Belfast led to a family being intimidated out of their home, Belfast High Court heard yesterday.

Prosecution lawyer Philip Henry said the family moved after a teenage son, who had taken away firearms used in the shooting at St James’s Road on July 22, had co-operated with police.

He was opposing a bail application by Robert O'Neill (33) from Bingnian Drive, Belfast, who denies conspiring with three other men to wound with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and possessing articles for use in terrorism.

Mr Henry said there had been two suspicious fires at the family home followed by a verbal exchange about why the house had been targeted. He added that after the family had moved the youth's younger brother was taken away in a car by masked men and beaten.

Mr Justice Hart said there was a prima facie case that the men who came to the house were from a terrorist organisation and denied bail.

Nightlife Galleries

More

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz