Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 27 August 2014

Teen arrested as 47 police officers hurt in Belfast sectarian riots

Press Eye - Belfast - Northern Ireland - Sunday 2nd August 2012- Picture by Kelvin Boyes / Press Eye.Disturbance between Loyalists and Republicans at the Carlisle Circus area of north Belfast following a parade in the area.A loyalist protestor
Press Eye - Belfast - Northern Ireland - Sunday 2nd August 2012- Picture by Kelvin Boyes / Press Eye.Disturbance between Loyalists and Republicans at the Carlisle Circus area of north Belfast following a parade in the area.Loyalists protestors face police
PACEMAKER BELFAST 02/09/2012 'Minor trouble' at Belfast paradeThere have been some minor disturbances ahead of a planned parade close to Belfast city centre. Police have said they are dealing with "small levels of disorder" around Carlisle Circus and Clifton Street. A policeman lies on the ground after being hit by stone.Picture By: Arthur Allison. Pacemaker Press

Almost 50 police officers were injured last night during hours of rioting in north Belfast.

Water cannon was deployed after the officers were attacked with fireworks, petrol bombs and masonry.

Police have arrested a 17-year-old male on suspicion of riotous behaviour.

Loyalists and republicans attacked police in the Carlisle Circus and Antrim Road areas during significant but localised violence linked to a republican parade.

Four officers were taken to hospital with various injuries. Only one remains in hospital and his injuries are not life-threatening, while 43 other officers were treated for various minor injuries.

Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) Chief Supt George Clarke said: "I am both angry and sad that my officers have been subjected to such significant attack.

"They showed tremendous courage in the face of enduring violence."

At lunchtime yesterday a large crowd congregated between the Belfast Orange Hall and Carlisle Circus. A lawful parade had been organised but police had received no notification of a protest.

When police arrived on the scene some people within the crowd had masked their faces and police observed masonry being broken up by a number of individuals.

Police talked to community representatives with the aim of reducing tension and facilitating the lawful parade.

To allow the parade to pass along its notified route, police moved the crowd back towards Carlisle Circus. Bricks and other missiles were exchanged between parade supporters and protesters as the procession passed through the area, but the most sustained violence was directed at police lines. As the parade dispersed youths also began attacking police in the Antrim Road area.

Trouble continued throughout the night, until the area was reported calm at around 2am.

Chief Supt Clarke said people would be held to account for their actions.

"I am urging all individuals and communities affected by recent events to take a step back. Violence has serious and unwanted consequences for us all," he said.

"We must work harder at finding solutions through talking and accommodation.

"We cannot continue to see the lives of our community and our police officers put at such risk."

He added: "Every hour of disorder in Northern Ireland not only puts lives at risk, it also reduces confidence in our community and wastes huge amounts of money that could be better spent on schools and hospitals.

"Violence cannot be a solution."

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife Galleries

More

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz