Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 19 April 2014

Toddler saves baby brother from dying in his cot

A mother-of-three from Co Down has hailed her toddler son a hero after his quick thinking saved the life of her six month old baby.

Kim Winters, aged 26, from Moira, Co Down, was woken at 7am by her two-year-old son Aaron.

She described how he called out: “Mummy, mummy, baby, mummy,” after his brother Samuel had changed position in his cot, trapping himself under the covers.

“He was so tightly under them that he could not cry or move and I feared the worst as I untangled him,” said Ms Winters.

“He was OK, thanks to his brother Aaron who had just saved his life by raising the alarm.

“I hugged Aaron so much, he was a real hero and only a baby himself.

“He didn’t realise what an amazing thing he had just done,” said Ms Winters.

“This is a real miracle — my alarm was due to go off at 7.30am to get my eldest daughter Faith ready for school.

“If Aaron had not woken me, Samuel would have no doubt at all been dead by that time.”

Kim said this heroic tale should serve as a warning to other parents to be vigilant and follow the feet to foot pattern of cot sleeping.

Speaking to the Belfast Telegraph last night, Ms Winters said: “Thinking back it was such a close call.

“He is still only a baby himself with limited vocabulary but his actions really saved the day.

“He was able to get me up because he knew something was wrong.

“I am so proud of him.”

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz