Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 26 November 2014

Turkey murders verdicts postponed

Marion Graham, who was found murdered whilst on holiday in Turkey along with her friend Catherine Dinsmore.
Marion Graham, who was found murdered whilst on holiday in Turkey along with her friend Catherine Dinsmore.
Catherine Dinsmore, who was found murdered whilst on holiday in Turkey along with her friend Marion Graham.
The bodies of Marion Elizabeth Graham and Cathy Dinsmore, killed in Turkey, arrive back at Dublin Airport. Their alleged killers are on trial.
Marion Elizabeth Graham and Kathy Dinsmore were killed while on holiday in the Turkish resort of Kusadasi
Relatives of two women stabbed to death on holiday in Turkey will have to wait until next month for a verdict in the trial of a father and son charged with the double murder

Relatives of two women stabbed to death on holiday in Turkey will have to wait until next month for a verdict in the trial of a father and son charged with the double murder, it was revealed.

Waiter Recep Cetin is accused of killing Marion Graham, 54 and her 53-year-old friend Cathy Dinsmore in August 2011. The women were found buried in shallow graves in woods 75 miles outside the popular holiday resort of Kusadasi with multiple knife wounds.

Cetin's father Eyup, a taxi driver, is also accused of the murders.

A verdict had been expected today but lawyer Baris Kaska, who is representing relatives of both women, confirmed that the judge has set a new date of October 2 for the final hearing.

Mr Kaska said the judge had accepted a psychiatric report which deemed Recep Cetin sane at the time he was alleged to have stabbed the pair. Cetin's lawyer had challenged the medical report last month.

Mr Kaska said: "The judge has accepted my demand regarding the objection by Recep Cetin's lawyer to the medical report. There is no need to have a second report done.

"Recep Cetin's lawyers have also made their final statements regarding the case. Eyup Cetin's lawyers have demanded time to compose final statements. A final verdict trial will be on October 2."

Relatives of the two women did not travel to Turkey for the brief hearing but are expected to fly out next month.

Mr Kaska added: "If the judge had not accepted the medical report it could have meant we would have lost up to four months. I spoke with the families and I get the impression they are pleased that the case is progressing."

Recep Cetin has admitted stabbing the women, but claimed his father, who has consistently protested his innocence, was not involved.

A key witness has placed both men at the scene.

From his home in Newry, Co Down Ms Dinsmore's brother George Dinsmore said they were hopeful the case would conclude soon.

He said: "It has been a long time. When it is over, it is over but it is always in the back of your mind that things could change at any time. But, we are happy that things appear to have moved on.

"We are all dealing with a legal system that we are unfamiliar with. Hopefully it will all be sorted on October 2."

Proceedings were previously held up because Recep Cetin, who had been dating Ms Graham's 15-year-old daughter Shannon at the time of the killings, falsely claimed to be aged 17 in an apparent attempt to be tried in the juvenile courts where sentences are lighter.

Bone marrow tests confirmed that the waiter was aged 22.

Ms Graham and Ms Dinsmore, both from Newry in Co Down, were close friends and had been on an extended holiday in Turkey when they were killed.

It is claimed they were murdered after Ms Graham refused to allow Recep Cetin - known to the family as Alex - marry her teenage daughter.

Nightlife Galleries

More

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz