Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 22 October 2014

Two viable pipe bombs made safe

Four men are still being held after the drugs find

Police said two viable pipe bombs have been made safe in Belfast.

Army technical experts were called to the scene at Lenadoon Avenue in the west of the city after two suspicious objects were discovered during a planned search.

Up to 20 families were evacuated from their homes during the alert.

Police had carried out searches in the same area earlier this week.

Sinn Fein councillor for the area Gerard O'Neill said he believed officers were acting on fresh information.

"The police said they would be doing follow-ups and obviously they have received further information," he said.

A spokesman for the PSNI said the devices have been taken for forensic examination.

All roads have been reopened and residents allowed back to their homes.

Nightlife Galleries

More

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz